Tuesday, 6 January 2015

Key Elements of Film Opening

There is a list of things I must include in my film opening to ensure it conforms to the expectations of the horror genre and our chosen audience.

Expectations of the Horror Genre 

  • A good, complex plot
  • Dark lighting to create atmosphere
  • A villain
  • Supernatural powers/entities
  • Special effects make-up
  • Secluded location
  • High angle shots of villain, suggesting dominance
With this in mind, I will aim to use as many of these as possible in my own film opening so that I meet my audience's expectations.


Expectations of Films for My Target Audience (16-20)

  • Focus on topics such as: coming of age, first love, rebellion, conflict with parents, teen angst, etc.
  • Focus on issues such as: alcohol, drugs, parties, social groups and cliques.
  • Characters are of similar age to that of the audience.

Characters commonly found in teen movies:

  • The Jock/Cheerleader
  • The Nerd
  • The Rebel
  • The Misfit/Outcast
  • The New Boy/Girl
  • Class Clown
Archetypes are typical of teen films as characters such as the jock, the cheerleader and the social outcast have become a familiar and pleasurable feature for the audience.


My film opening only has two characters, but I will still try and cast them in a way that reflect the audience's expectations. The issues and topics that are prominent of this genre may not be evident straight away in  my opening as the film usually builds up to these.

No comments:

Post a Comment